Oh dear what have I done?
In a mood of “I really really want to write that novel now, soon ah I don’t know when and I had decided not to write any novels anyway….!” I signed up for the “National Novel Writing Month” which is all November every years since 1999. I had heard about it since autumn last year but as I had not idea about word counts or what mine might be I found the idea to write a first draft for a novel in one month pretty daunting.
This year I read about it again and suddenly felt I had nothing to lose just to have a look. And then I got hooked . Well, I know now that I can easily write 600 words in a day but 1666 every day for a month? Still daunting to be honest. But it also feels like a pretty cool challenge which is worth it.
The initiators of the #NaNoWriMo how it is abbreviated and used as a Twitter hashtag are a non-profit organisation called “The Office of Letters and Light” which goal it is to help adults and kids reach their creative potential. Now if that is not a fine value !
They organise many events one of which is the #NaNoWriMo. They offer and enormous amount of help with prep-talks, word count calculators, working with libraries and forums. What really took me in at last was the fact that they have a similar program for children and work with schools as well. What has started in the San Fransisco Bay Area with 21 writers just for fun has become a world-wide phenomenon with many novels written and even some published. (I just had a look ~ its actually quite a lot published )
I like the whole idea and I like to finish at least one novel in my life even though I seem to have a change of mind quite constantly lately about the length of my preferred writing form. Well, who cares as long as I write lol.
No doubt I will wake up every morning until the 31. of November and ask myself “What have I done?!” but maybe you like to share my fate and join in as well????????
- NaNoWriMo (janerisdon.wordpress.com)
- Planning For NaNoWriMo! (thehardlyworkingwriter.wordpress.com)
- National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) (robdarke.wordpress.com)
- National Novel Writing Month (bananablurbs.com)
- Are You Going to Participate in NaNoWriMo 2012? (wired.com)
- National Novel Writing Month (queenhoshi.wordpress.com)
- Why NaNoWriMo? (teacherlingo.com)
- I say ‘No’ to NaNoWriMo (thenobleproject.wordpress.com)
- 10 Years of NaNoWriMo (jabwriter.com)
- I’m gonna NaNoWriMo all over the place (mattdantodd.com)